Sunday, October 24

SG vs KL Nike City 10K

I knew this race present me with a great chance to improve on my PB since the Mizuno Wave Run 2 weeks ago, as the course is very flat, and will not cause my ankle much problem.

Hmmm the distance marker was very misleading, I saw the 1km mark after 7 mins. I thought that I have started too slow and thus up my engine a bit. I realised my mistake after seeing the 2km mark after 10.5 mins. I was going too fast for my liking but the momentum was already there. And it was not long before I got into trouble after 4km. Haha I started to stop quite a few times to control my breathing. I was feeling rather heavy, too much food in my system from yesterday I think. I was so happy to see the half way mark of the race. I was already slowing down by quite a lot, it was already 31.5 mins when I hit the 5km mark. About the same when I hit the half way mark for the past 2 weeks.

Through I can say that I hit the wall rather early in this race, I told myself at that point to just keep going and see how fast I can complete the race. In fact at one point, I was not thinking about PB anymore. I was just thinking of just finishing the race in a respectable timing of 1 hr 10mins. I didn't run all the way in my 2nd half of the race. I was again stopping here and there to catch my breath.

Very soon I reached the last water point after the 8km mark, I took a glance at my watch and I realised that I have sustained the 6 mins/km pace and I was still on track for my PB, but because of my tiredness, I have written myself off to go under 1hr. I just didn't think I have enough in my tank. I still stopped and walked a few seconds at least 2 times in the long F1 track. But as I ran towards the end, I realised that I could have and should have chiong earlier, I could have finished under 1 hr.

But haha in the end, I finished the 10k race in 1 hr and 16 sec. Yeah I know this timing is nothing for the elite runners.

But on a personal note, I am delighted with the run but I am not really happy with my mental toughness. But in the end it doesn't matter this time round, I guess the stops that I have allowed myself to take does benefit me in the end to sustain my pace. Firstly, this was a improvement of 9 mins 31 sec from Mizuno Wave Run 2 weeks ago. And I took 1 hr and 2 sec to complete the 8.4km Milk Run in Early July. Today, with 14 sec more, I can complete a 10km. So it has been quite a bit of improvement. Let's hope that today's run is not one off, and with regular and injury-free training runs, I can bring this good form towards SCMS.

No comments: