Sunday, July 22

Stronger and Better

It took me a really long time to finally start get going after those injuries. But things are looking good. Well it all started with my body mass index.

While this is not my first time that I have struggled with my body mass index, but this is my first time that I have serious problems cutting it down after the Taiwan experience. With that, came with the referral to the weight management centre at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital. It wasn't because my BMI has reached the level to be referred but my body fat percentage is on a high side - 30 over percent, thus they did the referral. To be honest, I took the referral positive in some sense because it was high time to lose some weight, but then again if you are coming from the angle of a former competitive runner back in the school days or someone who used to be fit in the good old days, it is like a hammer blow.

What went wrong over the years?

There were a few combinations of reasons. My mental state of mind. I was constantly worried about aggravating my right ankle injury. And I didn't help myself by joining my running peers in MR. The twists and turns that my ankle had on uneven terrains and slopes in MR didn't help matters. While some would argue the twists and turns would in turn strengthen the ankle (the pain doesn't kill u, but train u concept), but it wasn't working.

And the medical status. Yes it is a fact the right ankle has a 5% permanent disability in terms of degrees of motion. But that doesn't mean that I cannot jog/run. But my organisation do not see it in the same light. So there was that fear factor that wasn't healthy.

Also with the additional weight, I wasn't sure about my health condition as well with cases of runners collapsing.

And all these became barriers. I didn't enjoy my running at all. And I cannot even run in Taiwan because of my medical status.

Thankfully the full medical check up before commencing the weight management program turned up pretty well. There were a couple of minor areas of concerns, other than that, my heart is in a great shape and there is no other issue. It was a strong jab in my confidence. Doubled with the hammer blow that I got the referral, the determination in me to roll back the years was extremely strong. The quest to lose weight and get back my health is high on my agenda, that I finally let the fear factor go. It also helps that I chose that it is right time to change my organisation. So now it's boh chup and dun care about all the stupid medical policies in place.

The mental state of my mind is much more stronger and better this time round.

I am really starting to enjoy my running again. See ya guys soon around in races! Meantime I shall stick to my flat surfaces for my training sessions.

No comments: